Monday, September 7, 2009

Hey y'all, well the long week-end is just about over...blah! 3-day week-ends should definitely be mandatory.

I spent the day relaxing and once again I was prepared for my post tonight. I'm starting the week off with another interview y'all.


Straight out of Ottawa Ontario, I'd like to introduce you to Cathy Landry. A collector of vintage fabrics & scarves; Cathy creates her own patterns and designs lovely items that are truly one of a kind. Her pieces have an "old skool" vibe with a modern twist - Love it~


How did you get started? And how long have you been designing?
I started sewing 9 years ago after I finished college and got my first real job, as a respiratory therapist. I was only working a few shifts a week and I spent the rest of my time shopping. I could never find any good quality clothing at the mall. One day, in an effort to not spend time in the mall, I decided to try making my own clothes. I bought my first sewing machine and a love affair was born. I took some sewing and pattern drafting classes at a local fashion school and a few years later I quit my day job to pursue sewing and designing full-time. I’ve sewed everything from doggie jackets to wedding dresses. Now I prefer just to create small collections that I offer in my Etsy shop and independent boutiques


Are you ever uninspired? If so, how do you get over the slump?
After a few years of non-stop sewing, I was really in a slump. I decided to take a little break and I didn’t touch my sewing machine for over a year. I needed that time to re-evaluate the type of designs I wanted to make. When I emerged from my slump, I realized I wanted to create designs using more eco friendly products, like vintage scarves and bamboo jersey.


Where do you get your inspiration from?
I get a lot of my inspiration from street style blogs. It so inspiring to see people’s outfits from all over the world.I also love browsing through vintage stores. The quality of the craftsmanship back then was impeccable.


Name one fashion piece/item that you can't live without?
My Dolce and Gabbana spring coat. My mom got it for me at a thrift store for like $10!! It’s fabulous and the details on it are amazing.

Any advice for newbies starting out?
My advice would be to take classes and learn the fundamentals of sewing and pattern making. It won’t be easy in the beginning but it’s important not to give up.


There are 45 items listed on Cathy's etsy shop Tangente. Be sure to click on the shop name. It'll take you straight to her fabulous etsy store. Here are my absolute faves!








News Alert!!

The New Tangente Fall Collection will be launched shortly.

If you want to be notified in advance of tangente's sales and events, please visit Cathy's blog to subscribe or send her an email. Click HERE and it'll take you straight there~

Well I'm off peeps.....

1luv

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment....I will always reply here, so be sure to check back for updates
1luv

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...