Monday, January 18, 2010

A Make-Up Artist in The Making~

I hope your week-end was wonderful! Mine was a memorable one. I was in Edmonton for the week-end and I made sure to stop off at the Dutchess Bake Shop. The shop is just as lovely in person as it is in pictures and the desserts are delicious - seriously~
I talked about this shop a couple of months ago - click HERE to get a recap.

To start off the week, I've decided to give y'all another interview. This interview has been in the works for a while now and I'm extremely happy to introduce you to a local gal who is passionate about enhancing one's beauty through make-up. Personally I wear little to no make-up at all. It's not that I don't like to wear it, it's just that I've never really learned how. And, I've always suffered with acne, (still do), so I've steered away from the make-up thang - a little lip gloss or lipstick is all "I think" I need and I'm out the door.

After I conducted this interview I started to change my way of thinking. You'll see what I'm talking about when you look at the photos posted at the end of this piece.

So, I'm giving a warm welcome to Leesha-Rae, (an aspiring Make-Up artist).


What city are you based out of?
I am based out of Calgary, Alberta, Canada

How did you get started? And how long have you been a make-up artist?
I got started when my friend was getting married and asked me to do her makeup for herself and her bridesmaids for her wedding. This was 3 and a half years ago and I was a little bit shocked when she asked me. I always played around with makeup and liked to try new things all the time on myself and never thought anything more than that. Then when my friend asked me, I was like "Are you serious??" and she told me that she always loved the way that my makeup looked and she didn't know too much about it. I was still a little bit confused though, because I was thinking to myself "But that's the way I do MY makeup." You see, I had never done anyone else's makeup before but decided to give it a shot. We did a trial and she LOVED it.
After that wedding, a bunch of my other friends got married and everyone just kept asking me to do their makeup. Finally I decided that I could make a career out of it because I loved it so much so I finally went to school and made it official. I would say that I started 3 and a half years ago but really became serious about things around 2 years ago. That's when I went to school and then started working at Holt Renfrew as a Beauty Advisor.

Where do you get your inspiration from?
I get my inspiration from everyone and everything. Anytime I hear a story of someone going for their dreams and goals, it inspires me. Those stories give you hope. They push you harder and give you the confidence to keep working hard at what you're doing to make it. That's why I joined the Blog world. To put my name out there AND to always read blogs about other artists out there trying to do the same as myself.
Also...My brother is a HUGE inspiration to me. He's a very talented man. He is a writer, has a dream to make it big in Hollywood but behind the scenes and he's done very well for himself. He's made great contacts in LA and New York and flies constantly back and forth between here and LA. Even though he has been rejected countless of times or turned away, he just keeps putting himself out there. He doesn't give up. I love him so much because he pushes me constantly.

Are you ever uninspired? If so, how do you get over the slump?
Constantly. This is a tough industry to get involved in. I was just very uninspired a few months ago. I feel like I've been going through a rough time for the past couple of months personally and when you're not feeling very good about yourself it shows up in your work. It was very frustrating because I felt so crappy about my work. I felt like every time I put makeup on someone, it would turn out so bad or I would have difficulty with the application. I was seriously doubting myself as an artist. I would constantly tell myself that I didn't know what I was doing and that I probably should just give up. So I surrounded myself with positive people who love me and believe in me. I turned to some friends of mine who are also makeup artists and listened to their stories about how they've gone through rough times and have felt the same way. Then I gave myself a little confidence boost. I went through my porfolio and really looked at my work to remind myself that I am talented. My portfolio is my savior sometimes. Although it's not very big, I still have pictures in there that I absolutely love.

Name one item you can't live without?
I can only pick ONE item?? Umm I don't know if I can only pick ONE item. I would have to say right now because of our dry Calgary climate it would be Benefit's Lipscription. Seriously the most amazing lip balm ever. And I am a lip balm fiend. I have turned so many people onto this Lipscription because I make them try mine and they can't even get over how good it works.

Have you got any special projects on the go right now?
I've been so busy working my full time job and then working freelance for makeup lines whenever I have a spare moment so I haven't really had time to put myself out there for other projects. But I am in the works to do a photo shoot with a local band in Calgary. Details still need to be discussed but it will be an awesome experience.

Any advice for newbies starting out?
Toughen up. In this industry you have to have a thick skin and learn how to take constructive criticism. It's not always easy hearing that someone doesn't like the work that you've done or that you need to add something or take away something but it's all part of the learning process. You can read interviews from some of the biggest names in the makeup industry and they always say that there is more to learn. AND always have confidence in yourself and your work. That was a big one for me. Especially once I started at Holt Renfrew and I was surrounded by other artists, I was extremely intimidated and scared to show off my talent. But now I've realized that I AM talented. And although my work doesn't always turn out right, I know that I am good at what I do and EVERYBODY makes mistakes and NOBODY is perfect. I've definitely learned that it's OK to know that you've done a good job. So...When you do a good job, make sure to compliment yourself and show it off. I don't mean be cocky but definitely be proud of your accomplishments.

I am always impressed with the "words of advice" responses that I get from my interviewees.
Leesha-Rae has definitely got me pumped to continue to have confidence in the work that I do.

Now, I'd like to showcase some photos from Leesha-Rae's portfolio. It was through these visuals that I came to the realization that I shouldn't be afraid of Make-up. Instead I should embrace it. I'll always love the natural look, but I'm beginning to think that it would be fun to get all dolled up from face to toe - cause these ladies look fa-bu-lous.












Love, love, love Leesha-Rae's work. I may just have to book a make-up session with Leesa-Rae real soon (since we live in the same city and all)

Check out her blog "From Lips & Lashes to Shoes & Fashion" by Clicking HERE

I've gotta give a shoutout to Mich from "Who is Mich" thanks for connecting me with Leesha-Rae!

Now before I go - I just want to give you a bit of a recap on the latest giveaway on The Creative Mixx.

As you know Adri17 was crowned the winner. However, I have made several attempts to contact her and I haven't heard a response yet. As of tomorrow morning I will select another winner (assuming that I don't get a response from Adri17 tonight)

Will keep you posted.....

1luv


1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! This is such a great interview. Leesha-Rae is ridiculously talented! She has done my make up before and i was her model for one of her projects when she was in school. She has a great eye for color, fantastic style, and a very creative mind.

    Definitely book a time with her next time you have an event!

    ps - youre welcome ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment....I will always reply here, so be sure to check back for updates
1luv

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...